The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Hello from new member and question on a 2447D

Hi Heuer Family,

Through Jeff's humbling work at OnTheDash and everyone here that has contributed so much, I've fallen in love with the mid-60s Heuer Carreras. A big thank you!

I've never been a chronograph-guy. I understand their strong appeal, but their complicated nature didn't speak to me. Then, however, I saw a couple of interviews with Jack Heuer and how, as he was designing the Carrera, he was passionate about not letting the chronograph interfere with the basic need to tell the time. I looked at his Carrera again with fresh eyes, and I realized this was the watch I had been looking for all along. Head over heals.

To start my introduction to the family, I found a good deal on a 2447S with the silver sunburst dial. I realize it gets a little less love than the matte white, but I have to say, it's a complete joy to wear. It's as if it's winking at you throughout the day - not flashy, not look-at-me, just a little wink.

Then, without being on an active hunt, I came across a Fisher 2447D that has both some compelling features and some imperfections. Let me share what I love about it, and it would be great to get the community's thoughts on the imperfections.

What I Love
Early Carrera hexback
572XX serial number
Correct, unsigned crown
Nice, uniform aging of the dial (we all love the mint look, but I also have a lot of heart for watches that show their history; that have been worn well)
Fisher at 6 (as opposed to 12)
Unpolished (beautiful lugs)

(Obvious) Imperfections
Lume has turned completely dark
Lume plot points seem irregular
Unpolished (scratches and signs of wear)

(sorry for the blue-cast on the images, I didn't have time to color correct)

So two questions for the community:

1. What do you think of those plot points? When you look at 8, 10 and 11, you see they're not uniform. If it's a re-lume, it's strange because the uniform discoloration would suggest it had to have happened decades ago. What do you think the story is here?

2. I suspect the consensus of most folks would be not to fix the lume, and best to keep the watch in its honest condition. Any contrarian thoughts? Also, what would you recommend to prevent the lume points from disintegrating and eventually marring the watch?

Let me know if you'd like to see any other pictures, curious about the case back, movement, etc?

Thanks for your help, and I'm excited to become part of this community!
-Josh

Messages In This Thread

Hello from new member and question on a 2447D
Lume example from another early Carrera
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE