The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Fernando Alonso: Why I’m Racing in the Indy 500

: The level of american motorsport is far from european. It's more
: easy. It's easy to find a good car...

I don't agree. I agree that it is easier to find a good car but the truth is that American open wheel racing is simply different. IndyCar decided that they wanted to limit the way money could influence competition. The result was that you have one manufacturer of bodies, two engine makers and rules which limit the modifications a team can make. F1 let's money dominate. The rules allow for much more diversity so money wins. Every time there is talk of changing this Ferrari starts to whine.

Both philosophies have their downsides. IndyCar has sort of generic looking cars. F1 has dominant teams and it costs so much money that there are just a few teams...and there is very little competition.

Both philosophies have their upsides. IndyCar has great competition on most tracks with the possibility of a good driver on a lesser team (metaphor for Alonso) to win. F1 is sexy.

I love F1. I have been a fan for decades and my bet is that I have been to or watched as many or more F1 races than most of the people on this forum. Money attracts talent. There is no question about that. But, watching F1 is generally pretty boring these days. Watching IndyCar is at least exciting from time to time. At the beginning of this season, Sebastien Bourdais, who drives for the poorest team in the paddock, was dominant and leading the pack. Unfortunately, while he was on top of the speed charts during practice for the 500, he had a terrible crash during the first round of qualifications and will be out for the rest of the season at least.

So, yes, "the level of American motorsport is far from European. It's not just for rich kids. The competition is better. If you really want to see some racing you need to come here to see the sprint races on the dirt at Eldora. http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/ This is where the racing is best. This is where the level of American racing far exceeds anything European. The only challenge to this might be at Surfers' Paradise in Australia!

JohnCote
Stirring it up here boss!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE