The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Thoughts from "part of the problem"
In Response To: A new Skipper -- from Hodinkee ()

So, as part of team Fratello (and many of you know that the #SpeedyTuesday piece has a naming affiliation with Fratello and what Robert-Jan started...we didn't receive any proceeds), it's interesting to read the comments here...and I don't mean that in a bad way. Heading over to Omegaforums, there are plenty of people who felt left out on the Omega offering - especially those in a time zone that was sound asleep at the time of sale - and there were 2012 of them!

The ironic thing about special editions - like the Omega or like the Skipper - is that they are truly aimed at us, the enthusiasts, but there aren't enough to go around. A regular production model? Nah...too niche in my opinion and the limited part does add some appeal. Yes it stinks that there's no true vetting process to ensure that those bought aren't purchased by dealers or flippers trying to make a quick buck, but that's the same with vintage too. And by the way, no matter what you think about Hodinkee (or Fratello for that matter), I can tell you that the folks there do truly love watches and it's fantastic that they're in a position to go to bed at night and dream about the watch they'd love to see made - and then it happens! And...they get to be around watches all day as their job! This is all slowly changing what has been a really, really (I'll say "really" again) stodgy and slow industry that formerly gave a sh*t about any type of grassroots opinion or online commentary. Also, they're embracing modern manufacturing that allows faster and less expensive customization...it's good. Think of what may come!

If you feel slighted because you didn't get a chance, it's understandable as a lover and supporter of the brand through thick and (some really) thin times. But, is trying to track down 1 of an edition of 125 of these all that much different than trying to find your vintage masterpiece? Sure, it may cost more than the list price, but you probably won't have to ask if the dial has been refinished... ;)

Oh, as an aside, I was in a truly horrendous meeting at work when this thing came out and was actually "off my phone" for the hour before the announcement and 2 hours after...gone as if it never happened. There will be more of these...and on the Heuer side of things, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a white and a black Dato at Basel (100% speculation) and those would be pretty sweet...

Take true solace in hand-winding your vintage treasures...

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE