The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No Indignation; No Surprise . . . Interesting to Me
In Response To: Rephrased: I don't understand. ()

There is no indignation on my part . . . and certainly no surprise . . . but I am very interested in the offering of these Limited Edition watches, and the market dynamics that come into play.

The IPO analogy seems relevant to me. Underwriters try to price the offering / place the shares so that the initial investors make some money over the long term, but the bankers do not want to leave too much money on the table (and they do not want to see too much flipping). They try to sell to the "strong hands" who can become long-term investors.

Jurgen -- apology accepted, but I sometime wonder why you are so negative? Is it the increase in prices? Some change in the community? It seems that every topic evokes a negative reaction from you. Time for a new hobby (or at least stay away from the social media relating to the watches, if it makes you so miserable)?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: The offering for Hodinkee's Skipper coincided with the lunch break
: of Christie's NY auction. Possibly all of those 125 pieces were
: available for the online offer, and possibly the NYC attendees
: only had the advantage of hearing about it in a timely manner.
: Fact is that it quickly sold out. Car manufacturers/-dealers
: play the same game.

: I don't understand the indignant surprise about the opportunists
: who flip their grab.

: Jurgen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE