The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Scrape the photos to save locally

: If anyone has the time or manpower, we could have the entire forum
: "scraped" with the old pictures (assuming they are
: still up), and this way we can save them locally on a server.

Relatively easy to find postings with links to Photobucket in them, even easier if it could be done on the Chronocentric server, but it's just text so no biggy. Having got the Photobucket links things get trickier, we could be looking at some thousands of pictures to download: that is going to need some serious bandwidth and possibly network data charges. And then Photobucket might regard it as outside their T&Cs and block the IP address it's coming from. There are ways to have the requests come from many different IPs but that's considered illegal in most jurisdictions. This is what criminals trying extortion on large companies & government organisations do using other people's computers they have installed their malware on.

: I think worst case scenario the "Internet Time Machine"
: (http://web.archive.org) may contain the photos archived, but I
: have not checked.

I took a look and they claim to have 35,374 pages saved (the Heuer forum alone claims over 80,000 posts) but only 403 pictures in total. An attempt to see what they have got stored resulted in a message from them complaining about the chronocentric.com "robots.text" file. This is a file that restricts what search engines can see. It looked pretty innocuous to me so I don't know what their problem is.

: I am happy to chip in a few bucks and am sure
: other members would be happy to do the same and cover the cost
: of a programmer to write this script and run it. If data size is
: manageable, I am happy to host the images for free.

I have the tools to do it but not the bandwidth, nor the data-plan. It doesn't help that I'm off to France at the weekend carrying my lightest lap-top, which has the tools but roaming mobile charges would slaughter it. Oh, and a few social things to do too like standing with friends by the side of the road (wearing red polka-dot socks :-) cheering the Tour de France riders.

: If you or someone you know has the time to do the work, feel free
: to contact me, and I will ask a few guys I know in the meantime
: to see who might have time to get this done (hopefully sooner
: than later).

I'll see if the hosting services I use for other projects have any photo handling offerings. Neither costs a lot and in both cases they were selected on recommendations for service.

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE