The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No Crime Here . . . Yet

I am only guessing that this dial was a "reject" . . . the condition of the "Wings and Wheel" looks pretty rough, so being a reject seems like a good explanation as to why we are seeing it sold as a loose dial.

I am not suggesting that the owner did anything dishonest in acquiring this dial. In fact, she has written to me about how she acquired all this Heuer stuff, and it seems entirely legitimate / honest. So absolutely no crime there.

There will also be no crime in using this dial to make a complete watch. And there will be no crime in selling that watch, with appropriate disclosure about the provenance. No reason to suspect any issues here, depending on who has the dial.

So no crimes to report . . . only a rare dial, selling at a high price (I suspect) . . . and it does have a couple of telltales / fingerprints, so we can keep watching for possible future crimes.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff,
: Just read your posting about this Indianapolis Motor Speedway dial.
: Some questions come up here.
: First of all, if this was a reject dial as you assume why hasn't it
: been destroyed by Heuer?
: I guess they are pretty careful with these things. Or at least they
: should be.
: Second question, isn't it possible the owner got this dial in his
: possession in a completely honest way?
: He isn't selling a "put together" watch, he is just
: selling a dial. So to be honest I don't see a big crime here.
: Unless the dial would have be repainted or a complete fake of
: course. But I haven't seen a expert telling it's a fake.
: And last of all, with Tag Heuer having that big stock of vintage
: Heuer dials maybe a lot of rare Heuer watches will be "put
: togethers" in the future.
: To makes things absolutely clear, I am not buying the dial.
: Just curious.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE