The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Seeking Information -- 1960s Breitling NASCAR Winston Cu

David and all,

I made some comments about this watch on the Vintage Heuer FaceBook page...

"...I really have no special knowledge of NASCAR. I just don't really follow it and never have except that from time to time I get asked to do some related photography or shoot a race. That said, this watch seems to have been produced at about the sa...See More
LikeShow more reactions

Let me make one more...sort of educated speculation. Generally speaking, product branded merchandise in racing is paid for by the sponsor and is part of the marketing effort of the sponsor. Racing entities/sanctioning bodies rarely spend their own money on things like this. There are exceptions but...follow the money.

Now I want to ask a question and make another comment.

The Question:

How many of these "Winston Cup" Breitlings have been seen? I can find a few photos on the internet but it seems as though they all may be of two watches or at least watches with two different bezels..

The Comment

Looking at the Winston Cup printing on this dial in the beautiful hi-res photo above, I have to say that it seems a bit crudely done. The Volvo/MG/Wings & Wheels etc logos found on Heuer watches of the same vintage seem much better done.

I don't know what this means. It could mean a lot of things. However, if there are only a couple of these watches known I suppose they could have been mock-ups for some never realized marketing project. I have no idea. This is certainly an interesting watch.

JohnCote

Messages In This Thread

Seeking Information -- 1960s Breitling NASCAR Winston Cup *PIC*
Re: Seeking Information -- 1960s Breitling NASCAR Winston Cu
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE