The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 2446 Screw-Back GMT -- Welcome to the US of A!!

Good morning to all,

When I saw the picture of the 2446 Screw-Back GMT it reminded me of my Chrono which I purchased back in 1969. It was an upgrade from the Autavia 12 which was my first Heuer Chrono purchased in 1966 in Switzerland. Both these watches served me very well in the cockpit and the 2446 was especially helpful with the GMT dial since everything in aviation is run by the 24 hour clock. It also is very use full for time zone changes when travelling. No need to reset the time.

When the Autavia GMT 1163 came on the market, I once again upgraded to it since I could use the Date Feature daily. This watch eventually got modified by Heuer to change the totalizer hands to black from the original red to improve the night readability in the cockpit. See write up in the ON THE DASH blog. I still use this Chrono almost daily and she has accumulated over 10,000 hours of cockpit time. Good readability and super reliability under all conditions and a TOOL used for many timing functions.

When I saw the Pictures of the 2446, I wish that I had kept them. I sold them to some pilot friend of mine but I am sure they have taken good care of them.
But I cant help thinking that it was not the best to sell them, hindsight 20/20. I must agree these are the best looking Heuer GMT models.
Thanks for posting the pictures. H.R.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE