The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Carrera 3147NS crown query
In Response To: Carrera 3147NS crown query ()

Hi Jason,

as you know, the topic of unsigned/signed crowns on the 60s Carreras has been discussed a few times before on this forum. As far as I understand, the general consensus still is that the Carrera 45 Dato's left the factory with unsigned crowns.

In one of these discussions Mark Moss said:

"Take those Dato 45s for example. We're all agreed they're unsigned, but we still see examples with Heuer crowns, so the winding stem for an L189 is either a natural fit for one of the other movements too or can be bodged to fit into such a crown with a little bit of glue.
It kind of goes back and forth on Carrera crowns, so here's a rule of thumb guide for those looking to buy:
First generation, first execution watches (e.g. 2447, 3647 etc) may have a signed crown. 

Dato 45s should not have a signed crown. 

First generation, second execution watches should have a signed crown.

Second generation (e.g. 1153, 1158) watches should have a signed crown. 

Third generation (e.g. 110.573) watches should have a signed crown. 

Fourth generation (e.g. 371.253 Twin) watches should not have a signed crown. 

Fifth generation (e.g. 510.511) watches should not have a signed crown."
see http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=45208

In fact, not only the early 45 Datos, but also all the later (second generation) pictured on the Guide pages of OTD have unsigned crowns:

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/63.Carrera/d.Carrera_45_Dato/Ref_3147_Later_Black/

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/63.Carrera/d.Carrera_45_Dato/Ref_3147_Later_White/

My 3147 S (s/n 1283xx) looks pretty untouched and has an unsigned crown. So I personally assume that signed crowns on a 45 Dato have been replaced during service or later in the life of the watch. Since this replacement might have been done at the factory, when the watch had been sent in for service or repair, I would not be too critical about it.

Cheers, Robert

IG: heuer_carrera

: Hello all,

: Wondering if the general consensus is still that the crown on the
: 3147NS model were unsigned, including the later serial range i.e
: 128XXX?

: Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

: Happy collecting.
: Jason

Messages In This Thread

Carrera 3147NS crown query
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE