The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Violet 1553s
In Response To: Violet 1553s ()

Interesting. I tracked this auction and looks like someone nabbed a pre-Xmas Carrera at a good price. In terms of the tropical purple, I have a Rolex Submariner with the same degrade colouration, totally linear and strong rather than a fade. There seems to be a school of thought that it is caused by a reaction to the tritium lume and sunlight in combination (i.e. lume was more 'charged' under strong uv). Ultimately it is one type of dial ageing - silver dialled 1153 Carreras I have seen range from silver to champagne, probably for similar reasons, whilst the chrono hahds seem to fade out to yellow from fluo orange. All part of the uniqueness of each piece. Nice to see the older articles via the links (still with most images despite the best efforts of photobucket)

Messages In This Thread

Violet 1553s
Re: Violet 1553s
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE