|The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.|
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
My father gave me a Heuer Carrera as a wedding gift and I wanted to find out a bit more information about it and how to take care of it. My father has not worn it in 30 years but after winding it appears to keep correct time. I have googled some information and done preliminary research, but I want to get some advice on my next steps. I have never owned a watch over $100 and this is all new to me.
- 1971/1972 Heuer Carrera (was a wedding gift to my father in March 1972, could have been purchased earlier)
- Purchased in Toronto, Ontario Canada
- No paperwork
- Band/strap no original
- Original box
- Last worn ~ 1986
- For insurance purposes, what is a rough value? I have seen that the box in reasonable condition can bring ~$1000 but actual watch value for a quick google is anywhere from $5000.
- I have investigated TAG Heuer's factory restoration but I am hesitant because I want it ready to wear by March 2018 for my wedding and I don't think it needs a total restoration. Pictures are included but the watch just needs a good cleaning and the crystal has some minor scuffing. Is the cleaning something that I can reasonably do at home? Should it be sent away to TAG? Can a local jeweler do a decent job w/o destroying the value of the watch?
- Is there a recommended place I can get a period-correct genuine strap? I have been looking on eBay but it's crowded with low priced reproductions and what appears to be higher priced "genuine" straps for modern TAG's. I would like to find a racing-style brown leather strap with the period correct Heuer closure.
- Can the box be restored? If so, where and will it be worthwhile?
I appreciate any advice provided, I would like to care for this watch correctly and ensure it lasts a long while.