The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Never Heard of That / Old Heuers are Radioactive

To start at the beginning -- many Heuer chronographs and dashboard timers from the 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s did have radium, on the hands and dials. And a lot of it. You will find lots of postings here, about the readings on a Geiger counter, from the old Autavias, etc. Of course, many other brands of watches used the same materials during these decades.

That being said, of the hundreds or thousands of old watches that are shipped in the community of collectors, I have never heard of a package being returned / not delivered, because of the radium content. I wonder whether this is a new policy of the US Postal Service, as they get more aggressive about the bad guys shipping nuclear material?

Let me contact some of the usual suspects and see whether anyone else has heard of this. In the meanwhile, we will have to see whether this becomes more common and whether the private shippers (UPS and FedEx) are subject to the same inspections.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I have just bought a near 70 year old early Rallymaster from the
: United States through Ebay.
: U.S, Customs have returned to the seller who has replied to me,
: saying

: on the box is a stick-on label that reads "your item was
: reviewed in our processing center and was
: determined to be ineligible to be shipped forward by air to the
: buyer because of an unacceptable level
: of radiation". Really?, it's a watch. That's just nuts. I have
: a meter that would detect radiation, there was none.

: Has anyone come across this idiocy before?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE