The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Why not skip Safari's Archive and create a .pdf?

wrong forum, but ....safari help? Posted By: shaun Date: 5/3/05 00:04 GMT

In Response To: Happy Tiger Day!!! (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Sorry to post this here guys but it is driving me mad.

On some recent update to Safari, they introduced a new "feature" so that if you save a web image to disk, it automatically takes the image name from the web page, rather than allowing you to change the name.

OK, I'll take your word for it. To be honest I was a Safari user until about 6 or 7 months ago when I started to experience some slowing of Safari's application when accessing the web. I looked into it, and it wasn't any specific site that was effected but just a general creeping slowness that was getting worse.

At this time FireFox was in the later (.7x, .8x) beta stage and I tried it and the difference was night and day. In fact it's only been with the Tiger update that I regularly have tried Safari again and fortunately it's greatly improved.

Seeing as I used to save interesting ebay Heuer auction results with a file name containing the price, now I cant do that. It is really a pain. I thought I'd try doing it in explorer but explorer is UNBELIEVABLY bad (it's ok on a pc, but the mac version is unusable, really, try it if you dont believe me).

It's Microshaft, so I believe you. Before Safari, MSIE was the best browser on the market. I still love the eBay integration that MSIE provided. But as is typical with a monopoly, MS got complacent and now two guys a girl and a pizza place could make a better browser better than Gates and Ballmer...

Any ideas past this? I searched safari help, didnt go as far as mac forums, anyway it's sort of a Heuer issue as it's only a pain for ebay results...blah blah.

I have a better solution I believe... What I have been doing is printing auctions to .pdf format:

Archive of $4,700 376.0822 Speedmaster Automatic Day-Date eBay auction:

Any advice?

I'd recommend that you do a "File > Print > Save to PDF (Button) from the Auction Page, the Bidding page and also grab any pictures and make a page of them using an HTML editor or Pages, etc. and combine the three .pdf's into one document.

I believe this is possible to do with the Preview Application, even though I have a retail Acrobat installed and I haven't tried it sans-Adobe products. If worse comes to worse, email me the .pdf's you create and I can combine them and email them back to you. I'll also be happy to walk you through the process via AOL IM.

Note that this dialog box will appear different under Jaguar/Panther/Tiger versions of Mac OS X.

I personally think that despite the fact that .pdf's weigh in pretty heavy (the .pdf I linked/portaled to weighed in at 1.2 megabyes) it's by far the most readable and universal access archive I can think of...

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE