The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Helmets *PIC*
In Response To: Here are the Photos ()

I have both an original Heuer red helmet box and a Clay Regazzoni helmet clock. Dimensions are exactly the same, the only difference being one part of the two part base. The original has a cut-out 2.5" x 1" to accept the white plastic strap holder/watch while the clock helmet has a larger cut-out for the battery movement.

Heresy, obviously, but I have just remodelled the Regazzoni base to accept a watch. Looks great (the clocks are dismal in my view).

I was talking to a retired watchmaker recently and he told me the original red Heuer helmets were display only items and not designed to be given away with watches due to their high cost. Needless to say everyone wanted one even though most ended up as toys (they fit a teddy bear very nicely apparently). As the cost of giving them away with each watch was prohibitive they came up with the clock idea using the same moulds (bar one) and selling them. These special clock helmets were made for the then top F1 drivers. James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson, Jochen Mass, Jacky Ickx, Alan Jones, Mario Andretti, Alain Prost, Clay Regazzoni and Jody Scheckter helmets were produced.

Later on, to keep costs down and avoid copyright issues, a series of plain metallic helmets were also made. I believe these later ones may have been larger.

The original red Heuer helmet is very rare as the production run was limited and most eventually ended up in the hands of children and the heads of bears! More helmets seem to have survived than bases as a result.

The modification is quite simple but requires the removal of some plastic. The clock can be refitted if required. The price of the clock helmets is less than a red "racing" box and is a great way to display.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE