The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I don't know why they even kept the TAG

I am loving this discussion guys and gals!

We are such an odd and fickle bunch of enthusiasts that are passionate and sometimes irrational in our defense of what they should or shouldn’t do based on our own views of the brands and what it means to us.

Case in point: The Carrera.

I saw Jeff’s post with the very handsome gold Calibre 7 Carrera 3 hand watch. It’s very sleek and fits with what I feel is in their DNA. Love it and it didn’t ruffle a single one of my sensitive Heuer enthusiast feathers.

The Carrera to me was long associated with Tag as I grew up only knowing Tag Heuer and they always had the Carrera line which featured Ana-digis, quartz 3 handers, and Chronographs. Anything was on the table back then.

The Autavias on the other hand, I was much less aware of those and I only knew them traditional Chronographs. Then I see the new 3-hand model and I’m pissed (irrationally so) because “that’s not what that is!”.

Perhaps that’s a correct statement BUT perhaps it is an incorrect belief of what “I” feel Tag Heuer should do.

I’m reality and with my rose-tinted glasses removed I can remember a BUNCH of stinker models from the 70’s and 80’s. All of the big brands did this and Heuer was no exception.

After all that has been said, go forth and conquer Tag Heuer. Try things out, throw some stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Again, this is something they’ve done for a long time now and we should be accepting of that.

Picture this.....a long long time ago.....a young Justin B flips through a Tag Heuer catalog. Flipping quickly though “all the other stuff” to get to the 1000 series or badass PVD 5100 equipped Carrera chronos. Did I see their other offerings, yes. Did I gets pissed when I saw the Airline series? Of course not, I though some pilot out their wanted that tacky very watch. I JUST KEPT SEARCHING, to get to the ones I did like. I didn’t phone a friend and whine about it nor did I care to share with the world my dislike of “all the other stuff”.

Is it a dilution of the brands? Nah, the “greats” are “greats” which will rise above the rest, and the other stuff was their to make sure the doors stayed open. Our fickle collectors minds will eventually forget about their few “missteps” and get what they want. Who knows..maybe these less desirable potentially poor selling examples will be something my kids will be searching on Ebay for...”they only made this for one year...this is the first execution bezel.....blah blah blah...more technical jargon...significant other eyerolling inducing talk of minutia that puts them to sleep.

In summation, I’m won over. Keep up the imaginative models, whatever you have to do to remain solvent.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE