The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Breitling/Thoughts about Forum expansion...

Hey, Thanks Chuck ! ! ! Posted By: jeff stein [Date: 5/11/05 05:18 GMT]

for around 25 years, Chuck had been searching for the Gallet Excel-O-Graph, to replace the one that he owned during the high school years. A couple of years ago, I spotted this fine example, sent the link his direction, and Chuck landed the watch.

Most people didn't remember Gallet at all, much less the Excel-o-Graph model. I was fortunate enough to find a picture in a book a number of years back, which helped greatly. And more recently a reborn Gallet appeared on the web with a brief "history" section that had an additional scan...

Well, as I looked at the photos, and admired the colors and neat design of the Whiz-Wheel bezel, I sort of wished that I could find one for myself. Realizing that Chuck had searched for so many years, I assumed that my satisfaction would come only from helping Chuck find his chrono, and that I would never own one myself, or even see it in the metal.

Well, can you believe that last Thursday, Chuck sent me an e-mail message, indicating that someone had one for sale (shown below). It arrived today in the morning mail, and I have been smiling ever since. No, it's not quite as pretty as Chuck's, but it also wasn't quite as expensive . . . and soon we'll see how it looks with a new crystal and a touch of luminous paint on the hands.

Well, Jeff, turnabout is fair play... I think it was only fair that I pass along the next one I came into contact with your way. For the record, you paid about 1/3 what I did for mine, but admittedly mine is in a little better condition, but I am pretty confident that your example will restore nicely. I still wouldn't mind having a second example though! I like your strap too, although I think the Blue Sharkskin strap on mine looks awesome too.

Jeff

I get more and more the feeling Jeff, that you.... Posted By: ALEX [Date: 5/11/05 06:26 GMT]

In Response To: Cool story/cool watch. You guys are both winners! *NM* (JungleJim)

should collect 70's Breitling watches, if I look to this design and also to your favour for nice bracelets....

It's ironic that Jeff and I both only own one Breitling a piece... For I am a big fan of "Whiz Wheel" watches, one would think I'd own many of them. But the first one I bought:

Breitling “806” AOPA Navitimer:

Happens to be what I consider the ultimate vintage Breitling... An AOPA 806 with matching bracelet, I haven't felt a great compulsion to collect additional examples. Maybe in the future.

so or so this Board should be exended with Breitling stuff....so far...for my best knowledge there is not such a Board for breitling....for Rolex yes....several

Actually, there are at least two Breitling forums in existance that I know of. Our "Big Box" neighbors TimeZone run a Breitling Forum moderated by Juan Irming and Watch-U-Seek runs a Breitling Forum moderated by Kurt Koerfgen, Alan Trott (altro) & SnapIT. Both appear to be good sources of information and discussion of Breitlings.

While creation of a Breitling forum is something that is a possibility here at Chronocentric/OtD traditionally Chronocentric/OtD has not created brand forums where there is already an existing brand forum. Chronocentric pre-dates TZ's Omega Forum by at least one or two weeks, and the OnTheDash Heuer discussion forum predates Watch-U-Seek's TAG-Heuer forum by a solid year and a half, and TimeZone's Heuer/TAG-Heuer forum by well over two years. We don't even mind posting links to their forums despite the fact if one were to do the same thing in their forums the post would be pulled. We are of the mindset that it doesn't frighten us to talk about or even point people to the other fellows. Even if that mindset isn't mutual!

A moderator would have to be found/named for a new forum, and to be honest neither Jeff, Derek or I probably have enough knowledge of Breitling to feel comfortable about taking on the additional role. Same thing goes for Sinn which is frequently discussed here, While I own three and I think Jeff owns a couple, Watch-U-Seek already has a Sinn forum (as well as a Pilot's/Military watch forum). We have thought that if the brand is being represented on the web perhaps it would be better to open forums for brands that do not have any forum or a forum that is difficult/impossible to find or has little/no traffic.

There are just so many brands out there that have little or no representation...

good luck with this watch Jeff!

Alex

My Breitling Collection / Question for Group Posted By: jeff stein [Date: 5/11/05 10:57 GMT]

In Response To: I get more and more the feeling Jeff, that you.... (ALEX)

here is the only Breitling in my collection.

When I began collecting watches, I would study the Breitlings, study the Heuers, and study the Gallets. To my eye, these were the brands with the best designs in chronographs.

Now, six years later, I own one Breitling, probably six Gallets, and quite a few Heuers. In terms of the design / eye appeal, some of the Breitlings look nice, but still not as nice as the Heuers and Gallets.

I think my opinion of Breitling has been minimal because most of their current products are clearly over-the-top exercises in "B'ling B'ling" (which is actually a contraction of "Breitling! Breitling!). I like their vintage work, but most of their new products are awash in ornamentation with "anchor B's", Rider tabs and other ruffles and flourishes that just don't appeal to me.

So who else has a favored second brand, other than their primary brand, that they like to collect?

I have so many brands I like other than the big two of Heuer and Omega... Porsche Design (both Orfina and IWC), Gallet, Longines-Wittnauer, Zodiac, Zenith, Tissot, Hamilton, Nivada, Clebar, Enicar, Certina, Bucherer, etc.

In this I see potential for brand forum expansion... Gallet, Tissot, Longines/Wittnauer, Hamilton... None of those brands have forums... Zodiac has one very obscure and under utilitzed one (or at least had one a year or so back), etc. I'd rather see some coverage in those brands than to duplicate efforts that someone else has established elsewhere already.

Jeff

While I probably don't know enough about any of those brands to feel comfortable (or at least as comfortable as Omega/Heuer) moderating, I don't know how many people out there know a lot about those brands to be honest. But I'd sure like to see brand forums for those brands appear somewhere. Preferably soon!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE