The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Now that brings a smile to my face...
In Response To: Le Mans in NYC *LINK* ()

Now that brings a smile to my face...

For about two years a couple of years back I'd make a weekly trip to my favorite haunts: A couple of computer stores, a video store, a couple of other places, and one of the things I enjoy doing while driving is "ranking the cars" I see in the side lots as to desirability when I'm out driving... As this route takes me past Ferrari, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Bentley, etc. and at least one "Super Exotic" dealership that frequently has Lotus, Lamborgini, Maserati's, and more obscure makes, as well as several Vintage car restoration shops. Thus the competition is usually fierce for the day's overall top 5. One of the cars for at least two years that was along the side of the road, at a hot dog stand was a Blood Red 1968 MB 250 SL... And believe it or not it was always in the running because I thought it was a very cool car.

Why? I'm not necessarily a big MB fan. I mean they make great cars don't get me wrong. But they are like Rolex, good (maybe even better than good) but bland. But I was kinda attracted to the '68 250 SL because I thought it was a very interesting car...

It was likely reliable enough to be a daily driver, sophisticated enough that it would serve as an "Executive's car"... One that an upper management type could drive and not feel he was "dressing up" or "dressing down". But... Because it was vintage it had an extra cool factor... A "Yes, he's an executive, and he drives a Mercedes... But he drives a 1968 _vintage_ smaller engine Mercedes, before they were the hip Executive car"... And of course the topper was that it was Ferrari Red. Which is very cool because it breaks you out of the "Banker's car" gray, black, or medium blue business man's car and into a car that you can take out on the weekend for weekenders, or Saturday/Sunday pleasure drives. The Red paint gives the car more than enough "sportyness" to be a tourer. When you think of late 1960's cool sports cars, you think Corvette, Porshe 911, Jaguar XKE, Maybe a Cobra, MGB (in particular the GT's, Mini's, etc. You don't typically think of MB, but this one was kinda cool. A stealth Sports car of the era.

After about a year, the car disappeared. I assume the car found a new owner or the owner decided he'd rather keep it.

It's not sad, but I do miss seeing it weekly.

A great car K, and your picture reminded me of "Ol' Red".

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE