The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Pocket Chronographs, for Rally Timing *PIC*

:
: These were often used by groups staging rallies (which might
: explain the number on the back, as the rally sanctioning group
: would have had a set of these timers). Also, when the boxes are
: closed, it becomes more difficult to adjust or manipulate the
: clock / stopwatch, so that the folks handling the rally event
: may not provide improper assistance to particular competitors.

In the UK there was a business that would rent a rally organiser a set of watches for the event. I recollect sitting with such a pile setting them to the times I had worked out for the marshal stations early evening just before the event. They would then be handed out to the marshals before they drove to their positions. An event at the level of this illustration would be pretty much run to the legally required maximum 30mph timing, but further up the competition chain the times would be manipulated to raise the speed, as I did to a couple of these. Fastest I ever competed in as a navigator was set to 45mph on some sections -- on mountain roads in Wales.

Messages In This Thread

Looking for info Heuer Stopwatch with Case
Pocket Chronographs, for Rally Timing
Re: Pocket Chronographs, for Rally Timing *PIC*
"Targa Timing"
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE