The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
How the Monza Got It's Name

I arrived home from work, and picked up the mail. Inside the house, I find the hardest of decisions to make. Each in their own plastic protective wrappers are the latest issues of F1 magazine(shipped from the UK) and WatchTime. Which to read first? What would you do??

Anyway, F1 mag wins!! (Better eye candy photos from the F1 paddock I think.)

On page 59, a beautiful photo of a steering wheel(with Lanica centerhub) announces "10 pages of fashion, art, design and the ultimate must-haves".

Flipping the page in anticipation, there is a two page spread entitled "Time Honored". WOW HEUER re-issue classic Monza watches!! Pretty cool.

So here is the caption:
"The classic Tag Heuer Monza Returns. The male Wrist Rejoices"

So here is the story that followed the headline explainging how the watch got it's name:

"Thank God for the Italian Grand Prix of 1971. After 55 laps of ludicrously fast racing at Monza, Peter Gethin crossed the line one hundreth of a second ahead of Ronnie Peterson-the closest finish ever witnessed in Formula One history. And if it hadn't happened, Tag Heuer would never have made a watch to commemorate it."

Another two paragraphs go on to explain what we already know about the watche's Calibre 36. etc. etc.

Pretty cool.

Messages In This Thread

How the Monza Got It's Name
Re: How the Monza Got It's Name
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE