The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Five Picks from Upcoming Christie's Auction (Ends 9/20)

Christie’s is conducting an online only auction, that ends on Thursday, September 20, and you can click HERE, to see the 10 vintage Heuers, plus one TAG Heuer Monaco, included in the sale.

In view of the controversy surrounding the recent Bonhams online auction, let me go out on a limb and recommend five of the vintage Heuers included in the Christie’s sale, for your consideration --

Lot 25 – Carrera Reference 2447 T, first execution – We have seen a few of these lately, but this one looks “right” to me. Original lume dots on the dial; vivid red on the Tachymeter track.

Lot 27 -- Reference 3641 by Galli – I have a couple of the Reference 3641 chronographs and like them a lot. This one has the Valjoux 92 movement and a stainless steel case.

Lot 28 – Reference 404, with Tachymeter scale – For me, these are bargains among the “Pre-Carreras”. The Reference 404 is the two register version of the Reference 2444, with the Valjoux 23 in place of the Valjoux 72. And this one looks really nice!!

Lot 30 – Early Valjoux 23 chronograph – Yes, I like the watches that show some wear, and this one certainly belongs in that category. Waterproof Heuers from the 1930s / 1940s are commanding a premium, so if you like the looks, this one may be a bargain. And a neat looking GF bracelet, to boot!!

Lot 31 – Monaco Reference 1533B – Most of these Monacos have damage to the dial, either from degradation of the paint (around the markers) or the melting black seal (at the edges of the dial). This one has an acceptable amount of nicks and spots on the dial, and very strong colors on the dial and hands. All-in-all, it should look nice on the wrist.

Good luck if you decide to bid, and as always, if you see something about one of these watches that I have missed, post your comments and corrections here.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE