The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: orange dial heuer auto questions

: since this dial is not marked, and does not say "made in
: france" is it what you call a ebay dial? the inside marking
: on the back plate seem right to me.

I went on a bit of a rant about the Ebay dials but my first sentence was key. No 980.005, no deal in my book unless buying at parts value. That one does seem to check all of the correct boxes except for the 980.005 reference on the back but that is my main holdup on all of these. Without proof of them being sold that way there will always be doubt in collectors minds about its authenticity which will have an affect on the price.

I will say that it has all the right parts with exception of the reference number and those parts are extremely hard to piece together. Due to that I would probably apply a 25-35% discount on the sale price of true 980.005 models. Then I’d take off $300-500 for the lack of bracelet if I were trying to do a valuation on it.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE