The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: orange dial heuer auto questions

Chapter ring looks a bit wide/large - could be covering the "MADE IN FRANCE" lettering that usually appears on these below the minute hashes on the bottom of the dial. Additionally, any 980.005 I've ever seen has profession(al) spelling along with Swiss Made on it.

The one and only caveat I will add is that I cannot for the life of me make out the spelling of profession(al)/(el) on the first execution (cathedral hour hand) shown for the 980.005 in the 1979 catalog when it first showed up (clear as mud on both OTM and Cal 11 websites). I've never seen one in the flesh either, it's a bit of a ghost.

: can anyone help me out with this watch? i have had conflicting
: reports about it. people keep telling me its a french made early
: 80's heuer. also been told the dial is a aftermarket and
: everything else is original. i know this is the place to find
: out. so if anyone can shed some light. i would appreciate it
: very much. by the way the bracelet is not the original. i
: already know that.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE