The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Lack of knowledge, focus on easy money...

Well Joshua,

I think situation is pretty obvious, at least for me. Heuer values have taken a serious punch in general. 6 months before the Philiips Auction the market froze. Prices were are all times high...

A lot of auction houses and dealers (big and small) jumped on the wagon...a lot of self proclaimed "experts" took the word...as prices were rising and profits could be made without too much concern. Now, the real problem is knowledge. I have enough with my two hands (that's still 10 fingers) to count the people in this world who have "some" Heuer knowledge. 99% of dealers and auction houses have no decent experience concerning Heuer, no knowledge at all. So a lot of money focussed dealers got burned (burned seriously) along the way and either are still stuck with incorrect timepieces they bought at too high prices or they sold and took a big loss. Also auction houses and very well known dealers selling completely fake or incorrect "Heuer's" had not done any good to the brand.

The "old" collectors and reliable dealers fuelled by passion for the brand always searching for good, honest and rare pieces...most of the collectors and dealers that stepped in last three years...they only did for one reason...and that was not passion. Not saying all...but most...and in essence there's even nothing wrong with that. But be well informed, take advise from people who know and get involved.

The market is good now, getting healthy again day by day and there is room again to enjoy watches, buying is possible again for a lot of people...people who only were interested in some quick and easy money...they have almost all left the Heuer ship/train. It took some time but things are settling down and the passionate people are still there. We need to forget some values and prices realised for a while. Situation was not healthy and the ones who did not see that...were the "new" ones...the unknowledgeable dealers and auction houses...

Passion first.

Best,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE