The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Y'know, it's funny....
In Response To: Y'know, it's funny.... ()

: The people who will buy this watch don't give a s**t about what
: name it has on the dial.... and the people who care about the
: Autavia name will likely not buy this. TAG is a soulless,
: directionless mess.

Tag Heuer certainly didn't create this line with the collector/enthusiast in mind. They're basically using their heritage to sell watches to people that are not that into watches. Let's face it, Heuer was a tool watch and timing company, and no one still needs watches like that. People just want a nice looking watch with a brand name on it. They've never heard of Jochen Rindt or Jo Siffert. So where does that leave us? In the vintage market mostly I suppose... I do like the Autavia re-edition of 2017 as a modern take on a classic. It surely has flaws but I'll take that over a faithful recreation. In that case I'll always choose vintage.
What does bother me is that while Tag Heuer were creating their range of salon Autavias, Yema have struck a deal with none other than Mario Andretti to license their new Rallye 50 year Indy anniversary. Andretti, the last icon of 60s and 70s racing with a strong Heuer link and his own freakin Autavia reference. He almost proposed to Heuer in the Hodinkee interview. At least we get Patrick Dempsey...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE