The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Walk Around a Local Mall or Even Baselworld . . .

Walk around your local mall, or even Baselworld, and imagine that you are the relatively young buyer, looking for your first serious watch. Yep, not most of us here on the forum, but the customer looking to buy a brand new watch. This customer wants a luxury (meaning somewhat expensive) sport watch . . . meaning a racing, dive or pilots look . . . and wants to spend around $4,000 for the watch.

Look at the TAG Heuer display case, and then compare it with the display cases from Tudor, Omega, Breitling and we can even throw in Oris. There are probably many more of these display cases that we should consider, it's just that I am not familiar with them. TAG Heuer has the Carrera three-hand watch, but that is a different look . . . sporty, but not like the competitors that I have mentioned.

I believe that the new Autavia will fare well against these competitive sport watches. The dealers seemed genuinely excited to have this new Autavia in the TAG Heuer display case. I'm hoping that they sell the life out of it, so that TAG Heuer can be strong and offer some heritage models that will be of more interest to our community. They need to keep the lights on and pay the rent and salaries.

My two cents after my three days at Baselworld.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: TAG made something decent. How many thousands of dollars do we all
: spend on vintage Heuers? I have no problem buying new watches,
: and right now Omega seem to have hit the sweet spot between
: modern and vintage influences, so I've spent quite a bit of
: money with them over the past couple of years. All of that could
: have gone to TAG if they could just give a damn. I mean, look at
: Breitling this year - they've got their chunky contemporary
: nonsense, they've got their cheap 3-hander version of the
: Navitimer, AND they've introduced a LE reissue of the original
: 40mm Navitimer 806. How hard could it be for TAG to give us a
: 1:1 reissue of the 2446? In other words, year after year they
: got theirs; when do we get ours?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE