The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
i have been thinking about this.....
In Response To: surface... ()

scary thought i know.:)

anyways....

if a watch needs to be re-pvded, first the movement and everything would have to be removed. then that means the original coat would have to be taken off. maybe not a problem for the pvd guys? then again, i don't know how they remove it? chemically or do they sand it off? you know a watch case is tough but any refinishing not done by someone highly skilled could be disastrous. i would think chemically, so maybe that isn't a problem?

the other problem i was thinking about is that the case may need to be prepped...i mean refinished to remove dents, dings and the like so that the new layer will take correctly? also possibly refinished in a certain finish for the best results? so all of that stuff may take a watchmaker? to sum up, i don't know enough about it.

i think we need an expert of sorts to fill in the details for us? just some thoughts.

btw, very witty on the "surface" comment.

j.h.

Messages In This Thread

PVD coatings
Re: PVD coatings
Re: PVD coatings
IWW ..busy
correct me if i'm wrong, but i.....
surface...
i have been thinking about this.....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE