The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Estimates of Production Numbers -- Vintage Heuer
In Response To: Re: Production Numbers? ()

We may know that a particular watch will use four different three-number series of serial numbers (for example, the Orange Boys in 204xxx, 224xxx, 241xxx, and 242xxx), but I do not believe that this suggests that there were 4,000 of the watches made. It seems impossible that Heuer produced so many of these watches.

Taking the Orange Boys as an example, for purposes of discussion -- over the years, we may have seen around 20 to 30 of these in the community, listed for sale, etc. I cannot believe that 4,000 were produced . . . maybe 400 would be a more accurate number . . . or maybe even 200.

To my way of thinking, it all comes down to the "survival rate" of these watches. A survival rate of five percent to 10 percent seems about right. So if we see 20 to 30 today, my guess is that fewer than 300 were made.

But this is all guesswork, in the absence of any production records.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: thank you for the reply Mark.

: Are you saying we can make a guess from the serial number ranges?

: For example Autavia Orange Boy

: http://www.onthedash.com/chronograph/autavia-1163-orange-boy/

: Serial Number Ranges
: 204xxx; 224xxx; 241xxx; 242xxx

: Not more than 4,000 made?

: v

: Autavia 1563 MH

: http://www.onthedash.com/chronograph/autavia-ref-1563-mh/

: Serial Number Ranges
: 243xxx; 245xxx; 246xxx

: Not more than 3,000?

: I had the impression that the Orange Boy was rare so produced in
: fewer numbers?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE