The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Metric -- Samples Per Year (SPY)

My favorite metric has always been "Samples Per Year" . . . or "SPY".

The simple question -- in a year of searching diligently, how many reasonable samples of a particular watch might the collector be able to find, offered for sale? Condition must be decent or better; price must be realistic enough for us to conclude that the watch is really for sale. Channels can be eBay, chrono24, dealers, Instagram or wherever diligent searching might take the collector.

Some current estimates . . .

• An Orange Boy? Maybe three to five per year.
  • A Viceroy Autavia? Could be 50; could be 100 . . . but it's a big number, in the vintage Heuer world.
  • A "Siffert" Chronomatic? Maybe one. An "MH" Autavia Chronomatic? That might be 0.3.
  • Carrera 2447 S, first execution? Probably around 15 or 20.
  • Black PVD Monaco / Dark Lord? I would say one or two

Of course, none of this is scientific or based on any hard data . . . just gut responses, based on years of searching.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Thank you for you information responses. Someone better at
: statistics then me would probably be able to say something more
: signification about sample v population size.

: However, I'm still left wonder how without many years of experience
: of watching the market I understand exactly how rare models
: really are?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE