The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New Article by Maddox, Beinenz and Stein

Three of the OnTheDash / ChronoCentric regulars (Chuck Maddox, Ralf Beinenz and I) have published an article in the June 2005 issue of International Watch. It is the second installment of a series about watch collecting.

In the first installment of this series, I wrote an article called Collecting 101, in which I discussed some broad, general questions that a collector should consider in assembling a collection of watches.

In the current article (Collecting 110 -- How to Buy a Watch), we begin to consider the process of actually buying a watch -- searching for watches, doing the background research, asking the seller the tough questions, examining the photographs, etc. The next article in the series will deal with bidding, paying, shipping, etc.

This may be a bit basic for some of the "pros", but it's always good to remind ourselves of the basics and look for new ideas. As you might imagine, the article is illustrated with several photos of vintage Heuers.

I should mention that the folks at International Watch have been fantastic to work with, in publishing these first two articles. They are really interested in the "real world" collectors (not just the folks throwing the huge money at the luxury / fashion watches), and they like to cover the vintage world. International Watch plans to continue the series, to produce a comprehensive series about watch collecting. Of course, to the extent that we support the magazine, they will appreciate the new exposure to the OnTheDash / ChronoCentric / vintage / chrono crowd.

Thanks to Chuck and Ralf for making this collaboration so enjoyable. If you have admired Ralf's photos on ebay and OnTheDash, wait until you see the amazing photos that he produced for this article!! I will invite Chuck and Ralf to add their own comments about the article.

We hope you enjoy the article.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Click here to see scans of Collecting 110 -- How to Buy a Watch (Part One) or you can view the article through the frame below.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE