The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia Bezel - Everybody wants one

: Dave and anyone else that reads this......

Sorry guys but that sale was down to me.Without boring anyone with the details and at the risk of being cursed by LVMH and upsetting alot of people, here is the basic story.......

I sent a Cal 11 Siffert to Switzerland for a complete overhaul, requesting amoungst other things a replacement bezel insert. After 4 wks they sent an estimate of 510 GBP's for the overhaul.....service,hands,pushers,crown and re application of 1 luminous dot at 6,and a new insert. I had all this confirmed by telephone.

My local dealer recorded all this on there computer system.

When my watch arrived back 4 mths later !......surprise surprise, no insert{just the old one that was on ebay}. I paid my bill at my dealers{they are nice people} and went away thinking about what LVMH had done.

Now....some weeks later i rang LVMH UK to request the availibility on a Monaco McQueen dial,giving the Serial number and Model number......to be told,"you will have to send it to Switzerland for confirmation of this ! ".....what! I have to send my watch to switzerland {4 mth to get the Siffert back}to assertain whether they have a dial or not !....oh no, i don't think so. .....so i wrote to Switerland and complained about this and the bezel thing. Some how, magically, they managed to produce{from that special...we don't have any,.. apart from in extreme circumstances, parts draw !} a new bezel,complete. And sent it to me.

So thanks to ebay and the old bezel sale, my 510GBP's service became a 345GBP's service.....still expensive,in my mind, but with the New Bezel its now nearly flawless.

So there you have it, these bezels that they don't have......well i got one, after some pretty poor treatment by LVMH !.

See, i was very precise with my request for the insert and i was quoted for it, and had it confirmed, so in my mind the fact i hadn't recieved it and that LVMH UK were unwilling to reduce the service price, was actually wrong, this added to the Monaco incident prompted me to complain firmly but politely in writting,to LVMH UK and Switerland, and i guess they thought that i deserved to be compensated.

Regards
Bryan

I saw the last bezel go for nearly $300 on ebay
: last week. Holy Cow! It wasn't that long ago
: when I could get the watch for that. I
: realize that these are made of Unobtainium
: but there must be a better way.

: Has anyone considered making an insert? Would
: that be wrong? How about a sticker? (high
: quality, of course) I understand that on a
: museum piece this would be wrong but what
: about one that is worn daily that just needs
: a little shining? hmmmmmmm

: dave in dallas

Messages In This Thread

Autavia Bezel - Everybody wants one
Re: Autavia Bezel - Everybody wants one
not bad ideas, for the non-truists...
But what about this..........
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE