The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
One of the things I look for...

...when trying to determine whether something is a redial is how the "Heuer" text is placed within the shield.

Take a look at a Heuer of your choice.

Note, the amount of the shield that is filled by text varies by model but there are two characteristics that are more or less present in every model:

- the gap between the bottoms of the letters and the shield is more or less equal to the gap from the tops to the shield outline (i.e. the text is centre-justified through the horizontal axis)

- the gap to the left of the H and the shield is broadly equal to the gap to the right of the R (i.e. the text is centre-justified through the vertical axis)

Now take a look at any of those "Mappa mondos". The gap underneath the letters is much less than the gap over the top. The H is also much closer to the shield than the R is. Note also that the printing of "Heuer" varies between each example, as does its position between the markings on the dial.

When are the watches being pitched as being from too? The "Swiss Made" text is definitely the exception rather than the rule for 70s Heuers. They tend to say just "Swiss" with the exception of the Lemania-powered watches (which actually use tritium again by the way, to throw another element of confusion into that discussion) that do state "Swiss Made".

But these use a Valjoux 7736, not a Lemania 5100. A Valjoux 7736, I might add, that has had its model designation and manufacturer's mark removed and the number of jewels has not been inscribed on the plate where it is normally found. And uses blued screws. And has a perlage finish to the base plate unlike the 7736 movements used on other Heuers. Those are all kind of weird, right?

To summarise, there is far too much that doesn't stack up on these for me. It needs to be a question for the ex-employees really but with so many unanswered questions, I don't buy them as a genuine Heuer as it stands.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE