The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Twitter @onthedash

Dear Jeff,

By coincidence I activated a "tweet-account" a couple of days ago, mostly out of curiosity. I met a very good friend/collector last week and we talked about Twitter...it appears to be a very powerfull tool and I have heard some stories also about selling on twitter... To be honest I always have been, and I still am up to a certain level, very sceptical about these new media. I have strong difficulties already with keeping up with "normal" life and all this facebook and twitter stuff is in fact one step too far for me right now, in fact I already struggle every day to get my emails answerred (I try to get every email answered I receive...if not same day...then at least same month LoL). Sometimes I wonder where people get all the time to be so active on those "new media"!? As a responsible father (and husband) from two young kids a lot is explained by having not so much time left of course...

So, I received your tweet yesterday...almost immediately after I posted the 1153BN up for sale at ChronoTrader. Now, I have to say when I list a watch on ChronoTrader it usually doesn't take long before it is sold. Maybe explaining that I sell timepieces too cheap...or maybe that people have confidence in me and my attitude of handling watches and people more specifically.

Now...I was very surprised about your tweet about the 1153BN I listed for sale, and was pleased with it. I followed the "hits" on your ChronoTrader sale forum "live" and there was a significant number of visitors in a very short timeframe. Obviously thanks to your "Tweet". So, I'm really convinced this tool is a very powerfull tool, probably with many applications. I now have experienced myself, thanks Jeff!

For myself I remain quite reluctant towards Twitter and Facebook. They ask time from you and seem to be addicitve for many persons (not at all for me), again I have too many things going on in my "normal" life but ofcourse I hear and see things happening all the time, having a lot of contacts with great friends/watch collectors. Besides all that...I'll need to keep up with technology anyway, certainly because of my two kids here...they will soon be able to do more with those media then I will ever can...on that side I'm very old-fashioned but at least I will need to pretend I know what it's all about ;-)

I'll definately need to invest some more time to get the picture...I mean...I don't understand Twitter completely...I miss the essence of it I think. I'm sure it will bring some more ways to information and connections...but I'll need to figure out in the days/weeks to come!?

And while I want to point out already that I will not become an avid Twitter user anytime soon (probably never) I'd like to get more into this "Twitter" thing...but I'd like to learn some from your experiences and also from other OTD members here. What do you use it for? What are the real advantages? Are there downsides???

For what can I use Twitter??? Maybe an interesting tool to "Tweet" some pictures every now and then from watches/projects I am working on?? Just a first idea...

Looking forward to hear experiences from all of you,
Thanks,
Abel

oh yes...my tweet account is @heuertime ;-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE