The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Carrera showdown: 3647 & 7753

Hello everybody,

Prior to my pick up of these two great timepieces, I looked for information on each reference, and whilst I was able to find a lot of it on each individual watch, I couldn't find any comparison between the 3647N and 7753N.
I thought that, now that I am blessed enough to own both, why not create that post!
(The 3647 is an early 57xxx serial, and the 7753 is a relatively "early" example as well with a 105xxx serial)

As a close friend put it, "are you aware that you bought twice the same watch?".
Well, they're not the same, actually :) and if I'm not mistaken, they only share the case & pushers!

I'm not going into the details of each watch, but I wanted to share a couple of pics, and expose some of the key differences between these two references.

The 3647 has an overall more elegant look, the slimmer indexes and hands are less of a sporty look. I love the 7753's hands, especially if they develop this kind of patina :), but I have to say that I don't have a favorite. Both look the part, and when side-by-side, they look different enough for my crazy mind to keep both :D

In the end, the biggest difference between these two is the movement. They are both great, but the Valjoux 92 is much more refined than the 7730: the latter is not only much noisier, but operating it is less of a nice experience. The pushers on the 92 give the feeling of being more connected to the movement.

I have no idea how to make this point clear, but if you experienced them, you'll understand!

Finally, the thing that surprised me is that the 7753 is a little bit thicker, the caseback sits higher from the case vs the 3647. Since I'm 6ft6 and have a big wrist, I like this, as it makes it wear that tad bigger that makes me feel comfortable.

Anyways, here are the last shots I have. I've just fallen in love really hard with the Carrera, it's just a great all-round watch.

Do you guys have a favorite ?

PS: I showed these to a friend who fell hard in love with them, so if you guys want to sell one, reach out to me!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE