The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Metallurgy 101
In Response To: Re: Metallurgy 101 ()

: Don't forget that how metal is worked into
: shape has a lot to do with it's hardness.
: For instance, Stainless clasps that are
: stamped tend to be "work hardened"
: and don't scratch as easily as stainless
: clasps that are tooled (cut) from a solid
: piece. In addition, titanium nitrate that
: forms as a coating is very hard, the
: titanium underneath is softer. Citizen
: titanium "duratect" is specially
: treated to be almost scratch proof. Just my
: $.02

: -Mitch

You raise an important point by bringing up work hardening. I think here is the way to optimize it. If you machine the watch case from a solid block, that block can be made from an extensively cold rolled piece of plate. So the work hardening is maximized during the rolling. If you bend thin sheet to attempt to achieve work hardening while forming it, you have to start with a relatively soft, not work hardened material to avoid cracking the bent regions. The problem is that only the deformed part of the metal gets work hardened. That is, the curved, bent part does and the flat regions don't. So I think you're better off with the machining of a highly cold rolled plate.

Another way you can get into trouble is with the unintended anneal which will happen duriing brazing. I understand that the Rolex band is hollow to save weight (never mind that it uses less gold). Brazing the sides onto each link anneals the material cancelling out the effects of the plastic deformation. That should make it dead soft for that alloy.

Finally, I belive you mean titanium nitride, TiN, which should be nice and hard and is the way we often get "goldtone". It may be transparent when it is thinner but I'm not sure of that.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE