The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Chronometer vs. Quartz Questions

: I am interested in buying the Seamaster 300M
: this summer, but am caught between Quartz
: vs. Chronometer. I know that for most of you
: this is a no brainer, but I’ve always owned
: quartz watches and I kinda like the hassle
: free convenience of being able to just
: replace the battery every few years and just
: keep going. After the exhaustive reading
: that I have done on the quartz vs. auto
: debate on countless websites, I am certainly
: swayed toward chronometer by the
: auto/chronometer fans. I do have one concern
: with the automatic movement however. How
: much does it cost to have serviced
: periodically? I can probably get a battery
: replaced every few years for $30, but how
: about getting the automatic movement cleaned
: and re-lubricated every few years? If I am
: ready to put down as much as I am for this
: watch, I know that I should probably not be
: concerned about this, but I have to say that
: this is a tiebreaker for me. What are any
: thoughts that any of you have out there on
: the topic….beside that I am unrefined and
: don’t understand the romance and intrigue
: surrounding the auto/chronometer timepice.

I have long lusted for a luxury watch and I think that all the imagery associated with an upmarket watch brand - which Omega definitely is - would lead you to lean towards the historic and classic elements of the product. Quartz has no element of workmanship, even though I suppose automation has crept into the production of both power sources. If you want a watch get a quartz, if you want a timepiece aquire an automatic or manaual wind.
Bye the way Chronometer refers to certification and can apply to either - although less frequently to the quartz.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE