The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some decidedly sad news to report... Michael Stein

hi omega friends

the original message is from chuck maddox ans was posted first in timezone forum

"I have some decidedly sad news to report to report about former TZ Omega Forum Regular and Omega collector Michael Stein:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:37:48 +0200
From: "Matthias LiebeKleymann" < MLiebeKleymann@conteam.de >
To: < cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net >
Subject: Sad news: Michael Stein
Hi Chuck,

I don't know if you know it, but Michael Stein from Cologne/Germany died about five weeks ago. Heart attack at the age of 47. I met him two months before his death and there was no sign that he was ill at all. This is very sad.

Matthias Liebe-Kleymann

and:

Yes Chuck, it is confirmed, he died July, 20th.
Michael's wife called a friend of mine to tell him that Michael died and ask him about the procedures regarding Michael's ebay activities. I was in contact with Michael over the German watch and jewelery forum on ebay.de. We had a get together in June with the forum regulars including Michael who was, let me say, the "spiritus rector" of the forum. We also put a note on the internet: www.hessenban.de

Matthias

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael had contacted me back in July 2001, introduced himself to me and had a few questions about a CK2998/105.002 he had purchased. I get many emails on a weekly basis similar to this, but what's most memorable in my interaction with Michael was perhaps one of the most contentious discussions on the TZ Omega Forum over the question of if the c.861 ever flew to the moon. I managed to archive most of the posts in that thread and have them available in a very crude and unfinished form here:

The Great Maddox-Stein Moonwatch Debate of September-October 2001

I also archived a combined thread on "Who is the TAG in TAG-Heuer" in which Michael and I combined in reply to a post.

I don't have a lot of email correspondence with Michael, most of my interaction with him was in the forum. I lost contact with him when he left TZ around the time of the switch to the Beta Software. I hadn't had any contact with him since he departed. I don't know the particulars why Michael left, other than it was near the time of the switch, but I may be making a connection that may not have been a factor. I found his "OT: Sorry, this is my last posting!" even though he did post three more times after that. There are other posts in the archive still since it does go back before the beta.

Michael owned 12 Moonwatches at last report and a total Speedmaster count in the mid to upper 20's last I heard. That certainly put him in a pretty exclusive tier when it came to collections.

Despite our differences in opinions at times, I know I hold/held a great deal of respect for him. He was a good guy. I know I personally have missed his presence since his departure from TZ, but I will miss his presense more profoundly now since there is no chance of future interaction...

I find it ironic that Michael passed away on 20 July. The 34th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing and moonwalk. I'm not a big fan of irony... but, it's almost as if there is a plan.

Michael, Godspeed and I hope you get there on time and that you & Jim Fetters reserve a good table for us who follow you.

-- Chuck

P.S. Thank you Matthias for letting me know..."

this is definitely a very sad new.Let michael rip and our deepest and sincere condoleances to his family and his friends.

my sincere and deepest condoleances

georges

Messages In This Thread

Some decidedly sad news to report... Michael Stein
My prayers for the family,may they find comfort.
Sometimes it seems meaningless....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE