The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Quartz vs Automatic

Hi there,
If my question sounds stupid please forgive me in advance. I just need your comment. Is there any significant difference among the quartz movements of the quartz watches out there? I suppose the movement is the most important part of the watch. So it should define the price and the quality of a watch. Therefore, i understand if Omega claims to be the top brand when it comes to automatic. Just like BMW engine /which is the car movement/ is much better than Ford engine /nothing personal here/ so based on that, but not only, characteristic BMW is a better and more expensive car than Ford. But as far as i know the quartz is not something that depends on the "know-how" availability, technical capability or craftsmanship. Just like the nails used in construction in the US are the same as the nails used in UK. So other than the design, materials, name, prestige, history etc.,how a $1400 quartz Omega watch is better than $20 quartz Swatch or any other cheap timepiece? In what way the quartz movement in Omega /or any other top brand/ is different so it defines higher price and better quality. Thank you!
Sweik

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE