The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Quartz vs Automatic
In Response To: Re: Quartz vs Automatic ()

: Hmmm... what about omega f300 and rolex oysterquartz?

You missed my point -- that the differences in quality of the quartz movements out there is NOT the reason some quartz watches sell for $1,400 while others sell for $20. Certainly the more expensive watch will have a better movement, but the better quartz movement is only a trivial portion of the $1,000 difference between the two watches.

As I say in my article on the value of luxury watches:

What it really boils down to is this: any wristwatch over US $200 is more jewelry than a timepiece. So forget about evaluating such items by adding up the cost of components, factoring in the value of precious metals or imagining some supreme value hidden in the mechanism inside. That takes you on a slippery slope to the insanity of people who argue over technical specifications they don't truly understand, trying to intellectually justify wristwatch values for technical and logical reasons that hold little, if any, tangible merit or benefit.

Since an inexpensive quartz watch will look fine on your wrist and tell you the time accurately, there is no real functional value to paying more for a watch. Choosing a timepiece that accomplishes the same function using a more complicated older mechanical technology, a premium quartz technology that is marginally more precise, in a casing with highly refined detailing or of precious metal, or bearing the design hallmarks of a famous maker are all values that exist only to bring personal and intellectual satisfaction and enjoyment. In other words, jewelry value.

The truth is that the value of jewelry is entirely emotional. Any penny spent over $200 on the price of a watch is buying you only more jewelry value and greater emotional satisfaction in having something more unique--nothing more.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE