The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: As far as branding goes, I think Rolex is tops

"I also believe Omega produce far too many variations of their lines. If Omega are to compete with Rolex they need to learn from Rolex."
On this point, I strongly agree. Omega has it's "high visibility" watches (bond style SMP, Speedy Moonwatch, traditional Constellation).

But they have made some real, IMO, odd watches that "water down" the brand identity. The various "limited editions" of Seamasters and Speedmasters just serve a small market niche; people who are officianados of that commemorated event/person.

The vast majority of WISs and affluent people don't care about Jacques Mayol, James Bond, America's Cup, free-diving or Michael Schumaker. The "quick buck" Omega makes from these watches is more than offset by the "watering down" effect...IMO

If I were in charge of Omega marketing, I'd work on these issues, not in order:
1) Like Derek said, retailer education has got to be improved.
2) General reliability of product. (Introduce Six Sigma methodology, if you're an engineer nerd... like me)
3) Market the living daylights out of the co-axial escapement and other top selling models.
4) Drop silly variations on the basic lines. (Apnea...asphixiate the darn thing. America's Cup...leave it to Aud. Pig. Michael Schum - leave him to TAG...who cares. Diamonds on the Aqua Terra...barf. Bond-style GMT - a terrible conglomeration of functions. The X-33, it might be flight-approved, but it sure doesn't sell.
5) Embassadors MUST be ACCOMPLISHED, not just glitzy. Ellen is a step in the right direction.

Just my opinion,

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE