The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

A/h = Vibrations per hr./Oscilations per hr.

Hello there,

I have two questions that I hope you might have the answer to.

1) I still don't quite understand the difference between vibrations and oscilations per hour in mechanical watches, if there is any at all. A friend of mine explained to me that one oscilation equals to two vibrations. If it's true, then why do some watchmakers write 28'800 oscilations per hour, for example, and others 28'800 vibrations per hour when describing their watch movements? According to my friend, 28'800 vibrations per hour only equals to 14'400 oscilations. Is this correct?
2) Is a 28'800 more accurate than, let' say a 21'600 vibrations per hour movement?

Thank you,

Common man

Messages In This Thread

A/h = Vibrations per hr./Oscilations per hr.
Re: A/h = Vibrations per hr./Oscilations per hr.
Re: A/h = Vibrations per hr./Oscilations per hr.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE