The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Pre-Owned Seamasters
In Response To: Re: Pre-Owned Seamasters ()

As Adam said, the key is trusting the seller. Positive feedback on the "auction site" of note is key... always read past auctions of the seller's watch items.

If you are willing to shell out $500, go with a near mint Omega from a reputed seller. Buying a cheaper one in mixed condition just opens up a greater possibility for needing servicing.

But I would DEFINITELY pin the seller down on an accuracy test. So many of them say "good" or "excellent" time accuracy. What does that mean? You want numbers. Deviations in seconds per hour and day. Unless you are planning to wear the watch for a day or two and then tuck it away for a few weeks until the next time you wear it, it is preferable to have an accurate watch that could work as a daily wearer. This is an especially good point if you think you might sell it in a year or two.

The other thing is, be patient. Observe the Seamaster auctions of the past and current times. There are many variations in style (dials, hour markers, hands, casings, lugs, etc.), and movement calibre, so find a few that suit you. Once you've established the look you want, create a favorites search that you can run at any time and observe the latest auctions. Also, I'd lean more towards full rotor movement (bumper is older and probably needs more maintenance over time). Some Seamasters have chronometer grade movement, which is a "nice to have", although according to Derek with vintage movements over 30 years old there is virtually no difference in accuracy capability between certified and non-certified movements.

I got lucky with my first Omega Seamaster De Ville. The seller adjusted it and it is keeping exceptional time. Plus, I just love the design... a timeless classic (no pun intended). I nabbed mine for around $300, in excellent condition overall (not mint, but good enough).

Good luck with your hunt!

Messages In This Thread

Pre-Owned Seamasters
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE