The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

New SMP running very slow

Hey all,

I've been reading this forum with much interest since I got my first Omega as a present for graduating law school last month. My father's a Rolex guy, but I've always loved Omegas.

I have a 2054.50. I asked for a 2254.50, and my parents ordered one from the AD, but he gave them a 2054.50 (I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing) but they didn't notice the difference in the bracelet. I noticed it, but decided to give it a day or so to see if I might like the Bond bracelet better. I ended up deciding that I liked them both, so I'm planning on ordering the new style bracelet as well. The Bond bracelet is dressier, so I can dress up my SMP when I want to, but I think I'll wear the new style bracelet more often.

Anyway, I wear the watch about 10-14 hours a day and place it flat on my nightstand at night (I did a search prior to this posting, and I read that it is better to keep the watch on its side, crown up, at night, so I will do that from now on). Since I wear it quite a bit, I'm pretty sure it is close to fully wound most of the time. I've noticed that I've lost a few minutes over the last couple weeks, so I set my watch by an electronic clock last night (not atomic but probably still pretty close to perfect accuracy). I set the time at 12:30 last night, and today at 6:30 PM, the watch had lost 10 seconds over the 18 hours, which equals 12.5 seconds a day. That's obviously way outside the COSC specs.

I know that the watch is a few years old, and that it probably sat idle for most of that time, so it is still in the break in period (I got it on May 22). I also know that I need to observe the watch's performance for more than a day or so to get a better idea of its accuracy.

Is this an acceptable variation during the break in period? Although the watch is a few years old, it is essentially brand new. The red dot is on the underside of the case. Should I give it a while or should I send it for service now?

-Jon

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE