The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: about breitling movements
In Response To: Re: about breitling movements ()

: A Breitling calibre based on the eta 2824-2 is
: nothing exceptionnal.The 2824-2 is the most
: produced self winding movement and it is a
: middle of the range movement found in less
: than 500$ watches, so I don't consider the
: cal 17 as equivalent to the calibre 1120.
: The 2892-2 is a higher ranked than the 2824
: and it is the base movement of many firms
: chronometer movements.

Yes the 2824 is a common movement -- mainly because it is both reliable and cheap. And yes, the 2892-A2 is considered a "finer" movement -- any movement that would give nearly equal performance and reliability but in half the space would be considered a "finer movement". But there is no evidence that it is any more reliable or precise than a 2824 (some even consider the 2824 the more rugged one but I'm unable to make this determination). Also, an unmodified 2892-A2 is relatively cheap too!

: Plus the Omega 1120
: has a really better quality than the
: Breitling cal 17 and a better finish as
: well.

Please have a close look at both calibers because I cannot see how you can say that.

: Omega was always know for its high
: quality calibres which were and are the
: worthy only competitor of Rolex.

Actually, I'm not connvinced that a Rolex 3135 is any better than an ETA 2892 or an ETA 2824 -- but I know you'll disagree. But you must agree that the Rolex movement is not as nicely finished (and looks a bit ugly) when compared to either the Omega cal 1120 or the Breitling cal 17 -- most Rolex fans will say so what, when it comes to the look and finish.

: This is
: what several people told me including
: Watchmakers, collectors and my book Omega
: Saga.

I hope to get a copy of the Omega Saga someday ...

: The Breitling 13 can't stand the comparison to
: the Omega 1164.The B13 has just Breitling
: engraved on the rotor, a better hairspring,
: rhodium and cosc certification.The Omega
: 1164 has the rotor winding system improved
: as well as a completely modified rotor.
: Omega was always superior to Breitling in
: terms of finish and quality.

Your saying that the 1164 has more modifications -- it doesn't follow from this that it has "better finish and quality". WatchTime gave a favourable report on the accuracy of the Chronomat. I once owned a Crosswind Racing (a Chronomat variation) that kept to -.25s loss per day consistently.

Perhaps if you tell me what the purpose of the Omega modifications are, then I could better judge.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE