The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Opinions on Omega 1120???
In Response To: Re: Opinions on Omega 1120??? ()

: A reference among movement is the 1120 better
: than the eta 2892-a2 version found in the
: IWCs and in the corums. In fact it is based
: on the legendary eta 2892-a2 but it is so
: heavily modified that I would consider it as
: almost in house. What are the modifiaction
: made by Omega? Two additional jewels in the
: winding system as well as smaller rotor
: balls (titanium), very specific rotor,
: nivarox far hairspring, rhodium plated
: finish, fausse côte de genève decoration,
: bevelled bridges and cosc certification.

IWC fans claim that IWC "heavily" modifies its ETA 2892's also. I'm not sure what the differnces are (the nivirox hairspring and the finishings noted appear common in higher end watches). But my question is this: Presumably Omega made improvements to the winding system because it wished to use a different rotor -- if so, then the real question is why did Omega change the rotor? -- I can only think of two reasons:

- to keep the movement as flat as possible
- to make it as rugged as the 2824

The improved winding efficiency doesn't appear to manifest itself in terms of better power reserve over that of Breitling or IWC.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE