The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: SMP stops after two days of not wearing

BenH:

Thanks for your nice reply. I did get my watch from Omega dealer. As some may know that they has to remove S/N number (and hence falls into gray market) before they can sell it through internet at that time. Since I can not find an Omega dealer in my area, that was the reason why I got it that way.

Your answer make me feel more comfortable about this sudden stop. In my naive thinking, I thought my SMP should go "forever" without needs for service in a "normal" condition. My wife has another lady's seamaster with quartz movement. Does that also needs some lubrication/cleaning service in certain years? (Hers is probably 3~4 year old)

The second question is where to find a trustworthy service. We do have a Rolex dealer in town and they changed the battery of my wife's seamaster before. Do you think it is a good idea for them to do this type of service for my SMP?

Also, since my SMP is from gray market, does Omega provide service for me? I barely remember that I read such discussion in this forum before. I would ppreciate if anyone can advise me on that. Last, I also saw some recommendation about good watch service through some individual. This would be helpful if Omega or my in-town store refuse to service my SMP.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Duke

: I am not sure why Georges is referring to
: warranty - this watch is 6 years old,
: furthermore I did not see mention of ebay on
: Duke's post.

: My opinion: 6 years without service is
: terrific! The lubricants are probably dried
: up & the watch needs a good cleaning.

: Time for servicing in my book!

: Send it to Omega drirectly or find a qualified
: watchmaker to do an overhaul - this
: typically costs about $150.00 on a
: non-chrono movement....
: BenH

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE