The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: How not to choose a lemon?
In Response To: How not to choose a lemon? ()

: Hai, I was just wondering how can one avoid
: choosing a substandard lux watch. For
: example, do you choose a watch from the
: display counter or demand that they take
: anew watch from the vault?

Personal call, my local AD wears white glove to handle his high end watches and is very carefull about how you touch/try on his watches- for me, no problem where he gets them. But then I've also bought from out of town and have no idea where they came from. Watches are fairly durable and if they have no marks on them they should be fine.

: Besides inspecting the bezel/ braclet for
: scratches, can we "test" the
: movements to see if it is within COSC
: standard?

COSC has already done that!!! How long are you going to hang around that store? If it's off after a couple of days take it back for another watch.

: Or is there nothing we can do and just
: "pray" that the waych that we
: choose doesn't turn out to be a lemon?
: (risky business isn't it...looking at the
: money we put in)

While I am a big fan of praying, I have never felt comfortable praying for a watch. However, Revelation 1:8 is always good to remember when shopping! YOU'RE NOT BUYING JUST A WATCH - YOU ARE ALSO BUYING A DEALER. If he's good, you have nothing to fear about a lemon, he'll take care of it, and you. If you buy off the bay, it's obviously very chancey.

: I know that accuracy is not that important in
: mechanical watches (otherwise get a quartz),
: but still it shoud be reasonably
: functional...ie. able to tell the time
: fairly accurately without needing to adjust
: it every week/ day?

Don't go overboard on this accuracy thing, if it's even close to COSC standards it's more than you need.

: By the way how frequent
: do you adjust your mechanical watch?

Every night while reading the watch forums I check whatever I'm wearing against an online atomic clock, then I open an Excel spreadsheet and log the discrepancy on it, divide that dicrepancy by the number of days since I last checked that paticular watch and enter that on another line. At 30 seconds off I reset them-EXACTLY. And yes, I AM aware that I need help....

Now-just buy the watch from a good dealer and ENJOY it- stop worrying about every little thing!!!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE