The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega VS Rolex
In Response To: Omega VS Rolex ()

: Hello everyone,

: I was hoping to get some objective advice. Im
: in the market for a lxury watch, and I am
: strongly considering an Omega. The watch in
: particular is an Automatic Deville with a
: two-tone metal bracelet. I really would just
: like to know how Omega compares to Rolex on
: every level imaginable and is this a good
: choice for my first Omega. I am under the
: impression that Omega and Rolex are quite
: similar in quality, what are your opinions?

This topic has come up lots of times on this forum, and since we're all "Omega guys" I'm not sure how much OBJECTIVE advice you'll get. I think it's safe to say that both companies make high quality Swiss timepieces. The main differences between these two companies lie in their prices and their movements.

Rolex retailers are discouraged from discounting, so you'll be lucky to get 5 or 10% off on any watch you buy. Given that their prices are already so much higher than Omega's (for a watch of comparable style and quality), this can add up to your spending thousands more on a Rolex. I use an Omega retailer who offers 33% off of MSRP, and the MSRP of an Omega is much lower than that of a comparable Rolex to start with.

Rolex uses in-house movements, while Omega uses an ETA modified movement in the DeVille. If you are looking at the DeVille chronograph, it is a Piguet movement. All of these movements are made exclusively FOR Omega, but not BY the Omega factory (to make things more confusing, Omega's parent company, the Swatch Group, owns ETA and Piguet, but they are separate divisions from Omega). All of the DeVilles have the co-axial escapement, which allows for 10 years between service intervals since the watch requires less lubrication due to less friction between parts. So, yes, the DeVille is an excellent choice since it is fitted with one of Omega's best movements.

Omega gives you more dollar value for your money than Rolex, but many will argue that the Rolex movements are superior and are worth paying thousands of extra dollars for. I'm just not one of those people.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE