The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Air King
In Response To: Re: Omega VS Rolex ()

: I know that there is not really a comparison of
: these two in regards to the type of watch
: (casual & sport) I owned a Rolex Air
: King and while it was a great little watch,
: it just was'nt for me. I was very
: disappointed in the quality of the bracelet
: and overall size of the watch. I ended up
: selling it, as I could not acquire that
: "it's a part of me" feeling. Most
: enthusiasts can reLate to this feeling. I
: purchased instead a Bond Seamaster, and love
: this watch to bits. It fits me, my
: lifestyle, and personality to a tee. As I
: mentioned an Air King is probably not an
: equal comparison to the Seamaster, as it is
: way different, with a much different
: purpose. A Submariner is probably what I
: should have bought, but I was stuck on the
: Rolex mystique, and made a compomise. As for
: movements the Rolex features an in house but
: in the case of the Sub fo over TWICE THE
: PRICE OF THE SEAMASTER. I do love Rolexes
: (certain ones) but this price difference
: between these two world class watches is
: insane. The Seamaster just feels way more
: solid than the Rolex( again using the Air
: King for an example) I have no doubt that
: someday I will again acquire a Rolex, but a
: preowned one for around $!000-$1500 off
: msrp. I simply feel that they are simply not
: worth the price paid new. We wis do however,
: represent a minority amongst the watch
: buying public. Nearly everyone else wants to
: own Rolex for the perception amongst the
: monied that they have " arrived"
: little attention is paid I truely feel to
: overall value that companies like Omega
: provide. The bottom line to my nearly
: endless post, is acquire the one that
: appeals to you most. And by all means try on
: before you buy, and take many things into
: consideration before your purchase (i.e.
: age, lifestyle, tastes, etc. Had I had done
: this the Omega would have one hands down!

The Air King was the Rolex equivalent of their budget line. That is why you were so disaappointed with it. They don't fetch much on the resale market.
As far as the band, that was a Rolex weakpoint. I was fortunate enough to have the Jubilee bracelet on mine. The clasp was to only weak spot. Omega has a better bracelet.
BTW Rolex just started making the gold links in the steel and gold bracelet, solid gold so they do not stretch. And they were slow to switch to the sapphire crystal.
Still I see in many ways, how Omega has copied the Rolex design. The Aqua Terra looks a lot like my DateJust. The Seamaster is not a dress watch. It is not really a diving watch because it is hard to operate underwater. And who is going diving in a diving bell for the helium feature.
Some people complain about the bubble on the Rolex , but I have to strain to see the date on a Seamaster , (not on my Rolex). The date on the Omega is an afterthought.
It appears to be a tradeoff. The Seamaster has the better bracelet , the Rolex has the better case and internals.
The prestige factor is intangible. A guy with a Rolex driving a Hyundai or Kia speaks volumes. You have to have the total package. Gulfstream 3 not included.
The Rolex is the most copied watch on the Planet. There are so many fakes , you can never know if you are buying a real one , even from an AD.
I love my Rolex. I just want another watch that I worry less about. A Rolex is an invitation to get mugged or robbed.
I see that a lot of Omega owners on this forum , have convinced themselves that Omega and Rolex are basically the same. They have obviously not been the the Rolex NY service center. They cater to the super rich. They looked down on my SS Datejust. Just imagine an Air King. I don't think the Swatch center looks the same.
The bottom line is that my SS Datejust has basically the same movement inside as the Presidential models.
Omega is a great watch. It could have been better if they had not lost production of their movements. They also lost a lot being taken over by Swatch. Rolex has remained consistent.
I will wear my Omega much more than I will wear my Rolex now. The Omega will be the watch associated with me and my image. My tastes and attitude have changed. There were people who hated me because I had a Rolex. It may be that I was symbol of their failure to achieve the point where they could spend all that money on a watch.
I just wanted the best watch made at the time.
You can not judge Rolex by having an Air King. The Seamaster will always come out ahead. But up against the Datejust , that's another story.
Enjoy what you have.
BTW if you get a used Rolex, have them rebuilt it. It will as good or better than new. But stay away from the old steel and gold bands. And make sure is was made after the 1990's.
If you are willing to spend even $2K for a watch that tells time as well as a Timex quartz, then you obviously want something more than the correct time and date.
I like the automatics because they are like little heartbeats. At night , with your arm near you head , you can hear them clicking away. A reassuring sound. Rolex perfected that movement. They have the quality control and the support. There is a $90 book on the Rolex available. Get to know the Rolex and you will understand the mystic.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE