The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega VS Rolex
In Response To: Re: Omega VS Rolex ()

: I wish I had the coin to join this debate...but
: I don't. Buying a Speedmaster Date was the
: pinnacle of my watch-buying days I'm
: amfraid. However I will say this, I live in
: Tokyo and it's one of the trendiest places
: on the planet. Every day I use trains to get
: to work and I see luxury watches everywhere.
: I've been here for four and a half years and
: I feel confident in saying that the common
: perception of a stainless OMEGA and a
: stainless ROLEX is definitley similar. Of
: course there are the ROLEX 'bling' watches
: but they are a different story.
: With regard to an earlier post that reffered to
: Rolex as the best of the best, well anyone
: who knows anything about watches knows
: that's just wrong. Despite my never being
: able to buy one, there are several
: watchmakers out there, like
: Jaeger-LeCoultre, who produce superior
: watches, right?

The jury is still out on the handmade custom movements. Again, it comes down to what you are paying for. Rolexes are mass produced. They may be an advantage over a handmade movement in some ways. What happens to a handmade movement when you need parts?
What I can tell you as a Rolex owner is that they have great quality control. My SS DJ went over 20 years without service. And then when I did service it , it came back even better.
Omega has their issues with a generic ETA movement that they modify, the feedback on their service centers is bad and they have let watches like the Breitling and Tag Heuer cut into their customer base. Rolex is still the one to beat.
I just saw a post from an owner of a Patek Phillippe. He may be wondering, like I do, what all the hype is about.
The best price point is still the Omega. But if you want a watch that you can trade for cash anywehere in the World, get a Rolex.
The only watch close to it is a vintage Omega, not the new ones. Pass that along to your buddies in Tokyo. And tell them to stop copying the Rolex. The Japanese copies are almost perfect. You may be looking at one and not know it.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE