The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some other points...

I have a different opinion from Georges.

: I'm looking to have my 1970's flightmaster sent
: to Omega in Switzerland.

I have just done this. More below

The watch was
: serviced/lubed locally last year, but I'm
: looking send it to Bienne to have a new
: crystal, hands and possibly a new dial.

That sounds like some of the work I have requested. Again more below. All the parts you list are quite easily available. If you have a local watch guy you trust ( & it sounds like it ), It may well be cheaper ( & quicker ? ) to source the parts yourself & have you local guy do the work

: Since Omega wouldnt tell me, anyone have any
: idea how much this might cost?

: Thanks,
: BT

OK, the quote for a COMPLETE restoration for a flightmaster can be found here , Omega prices

You need to click on any of the PDF files to get a breakdown of the movements.

The flightmaster has either a 910 or 911 movement - so it costs 630 CHF ( about 400 pounds or 480 dollars ). HOWEVER for this price you will get a FULLY restored watch back. It will look like new. This not may be what you want. It is certainly a lot more than just a crystal, dial & hand change.

Now to Georges points.

Hi

Someone got a 321 speedy restored by Bienne it costed approximately 446 € if not more.

Sounds about right.

Original dial and hands were replaced by luminova dial and hands. Replacing original dial and hands by something not original is a watch modification not a restoration.

There are no more ORIGINAL 321 speedy dials left. I believe the ARE original flightmaster dials left, as are crystals & handsets. They are easily found on the Internet ( I can provide a couple of addresses / E-mails contacts if you want ). So the parts that Omega will use ARE original.

Try to locate a competent watchmaker who can eventually relume the dial and the hands with tritium.

Mmmmmm... that is one way & possibly the way you choose BT. But in my case, not the way I have chosen.

A vintage watch with luminova dial and hands and is senseless and worthless.

That is Georges opinion & assumes rather a lot. If the original dial is terrible, I'd argue that a luminvoa dial is better than a terrible original dial. ( & that is my opinion )

I also met someone who wanted to sell me a Bienne restored 321 with Luminova dial and hands. I said then "Luminova dial and hands on your watch, worth of your so called restored watch, $1000 not more."

Again that is Georges opinion, not mine. What I don't understand is that in EVERY Bienne restoration that I have heard of, the original parts are returned, with the watch. So in this case, why not just reuse the original dial ? Or had the watch owner already sold it ?

So BT. you have to decide what YOU want to do, pay, & have.

Certainly what Georges suggests is one possibility.

If you have time, let me make a suggestion.

I recently sent my 911 flightmaster to Bienne ( about 3 weeks ago ). I asked for a complete job.
new crystal, dial, hands & a complete "case job".

I will publish a full report on it when it arrives back. including dates, prices etc etc

Here are the "before" pics.

Lets see what Omega make of it & how much it costs.

AS I said, this may be WAY more than you want, but I'll share the Info, when I have it.

All the Best

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE